Saturday, November 14, 2009

economy sized...and a language lesson

Most things that you can buy here are...practically packaged...for lack of a better term. There is not really any such thing as "Economy sized" or "family sized" at the grocery store. You only buy as much as you need/can carry home. Not too much is in excess. No Sam's club or anything here (for better or for worse!).

Anyway,
A month ago, we were super excited to find a box of ice cream that was 25oo ml (usually we can find either 1000 or 500). It just goes to show how much we've gotten used to things coming in smaller sizes, because 2500 ml is just a tad over half a gallon. We were super excited because we thought a half gallon was a lot of ice cream.

Anyway, recently at the store, I feel like we hit the jackpot. Usually you can buy chicken bouillon, but in very small doses. Like you could make soup maybe three times.

So you can imagine our joy when we came across this...a lifetime supply! (Or what must seem like a lifetime supply here...probably the "small" back home ;)

I put it next to the paper towels, to show the size. Gallina Blanca is the brand, Vistienos is Lithuanian, Vistas Latvian, and Kanalihaga Estonian...refers to chicken. But if you don't read any of those languages, certainly you can tell by the picture of the chicken on the front what the flavor is. Lithuanian and Latvian are apparently very different languages (according to those who speak them), but they are in the same family, and look similar to the unknowing eye. Estonian is completely different all-together. It is mutually intelligible with Finnish, and both Estonian and Finnish are in the same language family as Hungarian. Weird, huh?


Anyway, we are doing well. This past week was my birthday, and LCC is a really great place to have a birthday I've decided, as both years I've been made to feel super loved and appreciated! Birthdays are a big deal here...so it has been a great week.

It is nearly 2 in the morning, and I should be sleeping, so I will say good night. Hope all is well, and that you didn't get completely lost in this totally random post.

No comments: